The Ledesma Sports Medicine’s Grit is a three day five stage running race of varying distances that add up to over 100 miles by the completion of the fifth stage. The winner of the Grit will be the runner with the lowest cumulative time at the completion of the fifth stage.
Runners have the option of signing up for the 5 stage race or, sign up for individual stages.
Each stage is its own race.
Runners that signup for individual stages are not eligible to win the Grit, just the stage they have signed up for. If a runner that is only signed up for one stage wins a stage of the race she will be awarded the overall winner of that stage. The same goes if the winner of any particular stage is signed up for the 5 stage race.
The Grit begins on Friday, October 4th and ends on Sunday, October 6th
The Grit (170k registered runners) is capped at 50 runners but some of the stages are capped much higher.
Stage 1 Gritty 50 Miler at Fort Pulaski National Monument
- Stage 1: Gritty 50 Miler. Friday, 10/04. 3:00 pm start time. The 50 miler is capped at 75 runners. Fifty of those spots go the the runners registered for the Grit (170k). Runners must park at Lazaretto Boat Ramp (as close to the pier as possible). We will shuttle runners to and from Lazaretto Creek boat ramp. Location: Fort Pulaksi: US-80, Savannah, GA 31410
Stage 2 Shrimp and Grits 5k at King’s Ferry Boat Ramp
- Stage 2: Shrimp and Grits 5k. Saturday, 10/05. 7:00 am start time. The 5k will be chip timed. You have two hours to complete the 5k. The race cap for the 5k is 200 runners. Location: 6811 Chief of Love Rd, Savannah, Ga 31419. .
Stage 3 True Grit 50k at New Hampstead High School Track
- Stage 3: True Grit 50k. Saturday, 10/05. This race will be entirely on a USATF certified 400m track and, start at 10:00 am. The 50k will be chip timed but for only 8 hours. You may still continue to run if you haven’t finished running the 50k after the 8 hour window. Cap for 50k: 50 runners. Location for the track 50k is 2451 Little Neck Rd, Bloomingdale, GA 31302
Stage 4 at Wormsloe Historic Site
- Stage 4: Wormsloe Mile. Sunday, 10/06. 7:30 am start time. The mile run is capped at 100 runners and will be chip timed. Runners entry fee to Wormsloe Historic Site is covered in your registration. Runners will park by museum and the overflow parking area. Runners will then be shuttled to the “start” line. You may register at the Grit registration site: ultrasignup/grit
Stage 5 Ogeechee Grit 30k at Ogeechee Canal Nature Center
- Stage 5: The Ogeechee Grit 30k (18.64 miles). Sunday, 10/06. 10:00 am start time. The course is 2.08 miles. The 30k is capped at 75 runners with fifty of those spots guaranteed to the Grit registered runners (170k). Runner entry fees to the OCN Center are covered in the registration fee. Runner support and spectators must pay $3 to enter the nature center.
- Race location: Savannah Ogeechee Canal Nature Center, 681 Fort Argyle Road, Savannah, Ga 31419. phone: 912.748.8068
- Ogeechee Canal Nature Center website: Camping is available at the Ogeechee Canal Nature Center. Please Contact Connie Shreve at 912.748.8068 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Top male and female of each stage are awarded
- Top three male and female of the Grit are awarded.
- Every runner that completes the Grit Stage Race gets a buckle
- No pacers are allowed during any stage of the Grit.
- Runners must have a headlamp and reflective vest from dusk to sunrise.
All Rough Runners events are cup free. You must bring your own water bottle.